Laugh Out Loud ( LOL )


Laugh Out Loud - Guffawing is great. It not only helps you bond better but also does your heart and head a sea of good.

When we moved into our home, I immediately fell in love with the expansive, lush green park in front. The only thing that startled me was the sound coming from the early morning laughter club that drowned out all other gentle sounds of nature. As I sat with my newspaper and tea in the balcony, a range of irritated thoughts passed my head from "Why do they have to be so loud?" to "They are just faking it", as I glowered at the group of senior men who were bent upon laughing their lungs out.


Eight years on, my attitude has changed, from irritated cynicism to wistful admiration. The group too has changed over the years as some very senior members have passed away making way for fresher greys. However, nothing, not even Delhi's extreme weather condition has dented their commitment and determination. And their early morning zest and back-slapping humour actually seems to be working wonders for them! There have been mornings when I have woken up feeling grumpy and on edge and their energetic mirth has added a dash of amusement and perked me up instantly.

If they can laugh for no reason then so can I! One very striking thing about laughter is that it is entirely social (unless you are watching a funny flick). We can smile alone, cry in solitude, be scared in isolation and rage all by ourselves, but we usually laugh when we are with people. It is even more contagious than yawning. Often while with friends and family, I have found myself laughing aloud at a joke that I did not entirely get. Laughter touches our empathy centre in

the brain and before we know it, we are giggling away merrily, our thinking brain desperately trying to catch up. As a kid I was always told that I laughed too much. I was sent out of class by my teachers for not being able to hold my mirth at the slightest provocation. My funny bone can still be tickled effortlessly and I also connect well with people who laugh easily. I have found that some of the most resilient people I have met are the ones who are able to laugh at themselves. An added bonus: a healthy sense of humour also keeps them going through the roughest of times. Robert Provine, a neuroscientist (Laughter: A Scientific Investigation, Penguin Books) gives a meticulous account of the anthropology and biology of laughter. According to him, laughter has tremendous analgesic properties.

In simple terms, it could be the best stress buster known to humans. It also has aerobic benefits as it activates the cardiovascular system, increases the heart rate and pumps more blood to internal organs. So the next time you miss the gym, don't fret. Just get hold of your friends or family and laugh it out. It will do your heart and your relationships a world of good! I have started believing that laughter is an excellent way to bond. Families that laugh together stay together. Giggling is the bonding glue for friends.

Even at workplaces, I have seen that teams that laugh together are most synergistic and effective. So if you are a little concerned about any relationship in your life, check out if you are injecting enough laughter into it. Whatever your unique style may be-giggle, chortle, chuckle, guffaw, hoot, cackle-don't hold back. Joyful living's got to be celebrated loudly. ( Prevention )



Enter your email address :

Other ...!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment